Saturday, October 1, 2011

Other Culinary Adventures: Salsa Making!

Last weekend Joey and I did a little bit of canning. We had been the generous recipients of fresh, ripe roma tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, and onions from friends (friends with the most impressive backyard garden I have ever seen) We jarred two bottles of tomato sauce and three bottles of salsa. 

Salsa making is one of my favourite fall activities probably because of all the great memories I have made thanks to a kitchen full of people, boiling tomatoes, and sanitized cans. Its been a tradition for my aunt and uncle (The Murray Team) to get together with my family to make huge batches of salsa. We would each [wo]'man' a station - I became an expert in shocking the skins off tomatoes, the guys became onion cutting experts (after lots of tears). 

So although our salsa making party this year was small and produced only a few bottles it was just as fun, an particularly special with my new husband. We came up with some new twists on the recipe - instead of vinegar we used some lemon juice and rind, and we experimented with adding green chilies we happened to have in the fridge! The lemon was a great choice. It helps the salsa to taste fresh and light rather than vinegary. As for the green chilies, I think we will tone it down next year with those. They are really spicy! The salsa is categorized as extra hot, maybe even that 'suicidal hot' the restaurants report to have. (mmmmmm wings......) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment