Wednesday, August 31, 2011

R&D: The most extravagant cake I've ever made

Welcome to a new section titled R&D (Research and Development) where I will share my thoughts on the planning and design process of some of my more complicated recipes.

This week's project is big one. I'm actually a little nervous to take on the project; nervous it will flop. And so I am putting a lot of attention on planning. I have a bad habit of diving right into complicated recipes - I don't plan ahead, I don't prep my ingredients, I don't read recipes in detail before starting... Not this time.

The goal: make the most extravagant cake I've ever made for an upcoming P2 pot luck to welcome in the new class of 2012.
 
Side Note: P2 stands for Pattern 2, the name dubbed upon the Queen's Master's of Anatomical Science students of Botterell. To be a P2 you must be the most awesome, kick-ass grad student there is at Queen's.

...Back to the cake. Not quite sure what to call this potential masterpiece yet. I am tinkering with an attractive name:
- Mint Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake
- Minty Chocolate & Raspberry Cheese Layer Cake
- Chocolate Mint Raspberry Cheesecake....

Any suggestions??

Here's a schematic of the cake:



My inspiration for this cake comes after browsing a collection of very cool baking & cooking blogs. In particular Cake, Batter and Bowl's Strawberry Cheesecake Filled Yellow Cake, and the fantastic-looking  Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheese Cake from Erin's Food Files. You ladies are an inspiration to look up to!  


I want to draw upon a series of excellent recipes for this cake. It will have to be a combination of multiple recipes after all:
  1. A chocolatey moist cake with a hint of fresh mint,
  2. a creamy cheesecake with elements of raspberry,
  3. a raspberry filler that is the perfect combo of fruity and sweet,
  4. a chocolate ganache cover that is not too heavy or sweet. 

1. The Chocolate Mint Cake
Currently I am debating between a airy torte such as Martha Stewart's Chocolate Mint Torte or a denser, fudgier cake such as this cake presented by Whole Foods. 

2. Cheesecake
I think I have settled on the Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake of Martha Stewart's (oh Martha, even though you went to jail you are still today's baking Queen)

3. Raspberry Filler
My go-to raspberry jam will be perfect for this Smucker's Double Fruit Raspberry Jam

4. Ganache
More research must be done in this area. I know I want a thicker, dark chocolate ganache that isn't overly sweet. But I am completely brand new to the area of ganache so must research carefully. 


I could certainly use some help on this one. So if anyone has any suggestions, this R&D column is the place to be! Please, please post away. 



2 comments:

  1. Wow! I just saw a sneak peek of the finished product and I really want to taste it! Way to go on trying something completely new! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks realllllly good. How about something like:

    Raspberry cheese chocolate torte
    Raspberry mint chocolate cheese torte
    Mint chocolate raspberry cheese torte

    Or something completely different
    Chocolate mint raspberry mountain
    Chocolate mint raspberry pastel (spanish for cake)

    ReplyDelete